Saturday, February 21, 2009

ROUX

I am not good at making a nice dark roux.
I belong to the Dana Bass school of cooking food till you are ready to eat it, then its done. BUT, after the brouhaha on TC this week over the color of ones roux, I decided to just do it.
Has to be done in a heavy pot, I use some ancient Le Crueset, black skillet is fine too.
equal parts four and fat. I mixed this up, oil and butter, LOW heat and stir.
For normal folks this would be about a three beer roux, but the way I drink beer, three beers  would be barely eggshell approaching ecru. It was about half an hour, and I could have taken it a bit darker, but, ....




It got a little bit darker than this , and real life was darker than the pictures came out here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kyle, honey you are a wonderful cook, but you did not go near dark enough. That might be dark enough for a Friday gumbo (fish only), but not dark enough for a meaty gumbo with duck, rabbit, sausage, etc. Also, using a clairified butter with no oil gives a little bit more butter flavor without the burned milk fats. I enjoy your blog! :~)