Saturday, February 14, 2009

Flight 3407



Buffalo, New York, is not a big city, at all. So, when something like this happens - ( every time a big plane crashes into a house?  ) My clumsy point is that is is horrible no matter how and when these mass tragedies happen, but when it is a smaller town , and a commuter flight like this one was, it is personal. Sad when passenger # 12 dies, sadder when Sara Jones from down the street dies. We get a local Buffalo tv station, which has had wall to wall coverage and the Rochester channels have been covering it as well. Profiles of the people, like always.
I do not understand, have never understood a) why tv stations feel the need to " get the widow on the set" or b) why said widow allows herself to be on the set. To many sad stories on this flight to deal with really, so , I just shut it out. ( If I close my eyes, you will disappear...)
Something that I found just interesting about this was the change in technology. If I am not mistaken, this whole story was broken on YOUTUBE,  a neighbor of the peoples who had a plane in their house, filmed and posted the crash and fire before any first responders got there - crazy. Also, we went on google maps and found the house , bringing the whole thing into a more personal realm. Just odd that's all...
This statue is Rodin's THE SHADE, which the city of Orly , France, presented to my home town, Atlanta, after a horrible crash of a group of Atlanta art patrons crashed there in 1962.
I just , for the first time, saw a fly over of the crash sight. It is AMAZING that only one home was destroyed in this catastrophe.The area is so very contained. Just makes the flight , that much more horrible.

No comments: