Saturday, February 21, 2009

Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler!


GUMBO!
I have not made gumbo in three hundred years, not sure why.. BUT, we are invited to a Mardis Gras party tonight, and I decided ( well, Neil told them I would bring something...) that I would make some, post TC in NO week!

Went to foodtv.com for some recipes. One from a crock pot gumbo, an Emeril ( who is from Rhode Island... I'm just saying....) and one from Rachel Ray. ( not someone I as a rule go to , but I liked hers.) Some don't use tomatoes, some no okra, I wanted both, so I just combined.
  • about two cups each of the trinity with a jalapeno tossed in for heat
  • 1 pack boneless chicken thighs, one large breast, cubed biggish
  • 1 smoked sausage, halved and sliced
  • bag frozen okra
  • 1 can diced tomatoes, I also used about a half cup of tomato puree
  • Cajun and creole spices, plus black pepper, old bay, cumin ( taste before salting at all, cause those spice mixes are pretty darn salty)
  • 1/2 of a lemon zested
  • 1 box chicken stock
the veggies added to the roux, soften
I had to switch pots for size, this is just seasoned chicken and the sausage.. 
toss in the roux and veggies , tomatoes, and okra



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's (Emeril's) the same recipe your friend, Dana Bass, made on 12/27/08