Sunday, February 8, 2009

Saturday Night cooking binge!


The Bishop is coming, The Bishop is coming!
Prince and Roja are coming to St Johns in the morning, so I set about cooking a couple of breakfast casseroles to take for the gathering. ( the good Episcopalian that I am...) 
BUT, before I stared these and with the Singhs in mind, I whipped up a little chicken curry for my and Neils supper, I didn't take any pics, but I think I have posted this before. I make it all the time. 
  • whole chicken, cut up browned ( or breasts or thighs or strips, MOST forgiving, ) 
  • add a mess of onions and chopped carrots ( potatoes, cauliflower,chic peas, really what ever).. cook for a bit
  • big can of chopped tomatoes, can of coconut milk ( I only use the thick part)
  • curry (lots), old bay, lime zest. a touch of cinimmon... again very forgiving
  • stew for a bit, eat over rice.. 
After that , and before the stratas , I put a big ole pork shoulder in the slow cooker for tomorrow night
  • as big a pork shoulder that will fit in your cooker
  • onions, garlic, carrot, ( bell pepper, jap.. what ever you want)
  • what ever spices you want.. I used salt, pepper, old bay and a jar of roasted chipotle salsa. Just had an open jar, we will see how it comes out
  • a little bit of water, I would have used chicken stock, but I didn't have any
  • start on high about an hour, turn to low, for ever.. ( really 12 hours if you need to)




This will last a couple of days. A salad, I am done cooking for a while!

No comments: