Thursday, July 23, 2009

Facebook Killed the Blogging Star


" in my mind and in my car....."

Dan Lawson mauled by Chubacabbra.... or purple monkey dishwasher.

We blog, we facebook, we twitter, we tweet. We used to sit in bars , swill beer and chat, now we type in front of our motherboxes, or text while driving really fast while putting on mascara. Either way we are getting the message out there.

I still consider myself a newcomer to this whole world of " being out there". Even though I have been blogging for quite sometime now, I am not under any delusions that I am being read by more than the hard core kyle+blogites. Which I am fine with. I enjoy doing this, as a way to express myself that does not involve Neil pretending to listen or me pretending that Pookie cares. ( I have stated this before)

The Facebook is different. I was a huge hold out to the whole social networking thing. I LIKED my worlds kept in tidy little boxes. For any of you who were around in the late 80's you may remember some complete meltdowns when a WBHS-er or the random Delt was passed  on the street. Others seems comfortable with their worlds colliding, I was not. I am pretty sure this had something to do with life in the closet, and how gay men of a certain age had to live their lives.. blah, blah, blah.. its all psycho-babble anyway. The point of this is the facebook is the new town square, and it is purely democratic, small case "d". There are no divisions, High School meet Bear Bar... Football friend, meet Episcopalian....

Yesterday, B.Day alerted us all to Danno , at last, joining facebook. That led to some comments between me and a guy I may have met a few times years ago when we were sitting in those beer swilling bars, Jeff - who through facebook ,I have reconnected and we have developed a " friendship". It is a very odd medium, I only put friendship in quotes, because it is only online,.. but in 2009, those seem pretty real. 

So, Beth is welcoming Danno, and Jeff and I hijack the conversation and take it to Dan being attacked by the Chubacabbra and what Southern foods we need to take to their house to aid in his recovery... I was all about pie... Jeff was doing some egg salad. It is a wide open medium. B.Day then called us "bozos" ( if the shoe fits...) and asked why we were having this conversation there on the facebook and not here in blogland. 

I write things here, pretty much for me. During the election I got to rant and rave about how Hillary was not getting her dues and then on how " gosh, darn fantastic" Barack Obama was. I get to tell you what I eat, when I eat and how long I had to stay on the treadmill to get rid of what it was that I ate. Koda and the swimming hole being a prime example.. not earth shaking, but something I enjoy...Facebook is conversation. This is lasting, you can go back and see what I was thinking for the last few years, FB is fleeting.

I do very much hope that in this Huxley-ian time, that there will be a place for both,that unlike MTV and FM radio, both will survive. Some people just write on here and post to the FB.. I am not ready for that. Number one, I am not self absorbed enough to think that some Integrity pal of Neils that is on my list cares about how I make the banana pudding, or what movie Dahn and I saw last. ( even though his life would be much richer with the knowledge!)  I will be doing both, sometimes they will be the exact same thing, other times ,not.

And lets all hope Dan recovers soon from his vicious attack by the Cobb Country Terror. Jeff says Chubacabbra wounds don't heal! If so, it could merit the ultimate in Southern sick foods: A ham! ( or at least TWO casseroles , one for supper that night and one to freeze...)




4 comments:

Jeff said...

Enjoyed reading your blog....good stuff. Thanks for the friendship and see you on the FB. Miss Beth isn't mad is she? I didn't think she was. Jeff

b said...

Of course I'm not mad! I was just poking fun at you two. Although, you know that I do have a real need for blog comments and wish it was all captured there.

b said...

You have put your finger on an important distinction: the blog is more permanent than the fleeting FB. Most of what's posted to FB is gone tomorrow. Which is why it's fine to post links on FB to your blog posts, because people can easily ignore them if they want.

Which brings me to another distinction. FB is more push-me active, the blog more pull-you passive.

Finally, and here's the one that gets me, Facebook actually seems more public, doesn't it, than our little private blogs? Which shouldn't be the case: we get to choose who's on our FB list but anyone can access the blog. It's the result, I think, of that push v pull.

Jeff said...

I'll have to do a better job of commeting on each of your blogs. I just enjoyed reading the "class of 69" piece. Jeff