Friday, July 17, 2009

The South, The North ... and the Jehovah Witnesses


All along the Watchtowers, baby... the local JH crowd loves Kyle.

" I am a gay Episcopalian , with strong outwardly Heathen tendencies " ( or is that the other way around -  a gay Heathen with Episcopalian tendencies??? ) I have told them, yet they keep on coming. Leaving me little gifts, inviting me to Jehovah themed tupper ware parties...

At first it was this lovely older couple, who I do not think had ever had dealings with a Southerner before. " Hello, how are  you today? " not : " Get off my steps witch, before I break out the water hose" Now, I do not really know ANYTHING about the JH Church, other than the fact they own A ZILLION DOLLARS worth of  property in Brooklyn Heights, but I am guessing that our core values are going to be pretty far apart.

The last two times I have received a visit from them , one just this afternoon, it has been the b-team , the newbies out bringing in the flocks. These are the sweetest , nicest people, who always smell so good. Here is the thing about up here.. Ladies DO NOT DRESS for other ladies, at all. You would sooner find a skunk in our church as you would some foundation garments and panty hose... it just does not happen. And yet , these Ladies and Gentlemen dress as if they are going to visit a grand dame great aunt for lunch. Very nice church dresses and suits and ties. ( and again , I am not sure what the one lady that came to see me so often was wearing perfume wise, but it was very nice) 

So, these well groomed , seemingly kind folks, show up unannounced at your door, and far be it from deep South Kyle to turn them away.. No, I ask them in and listen to there little spiel about this or that , God and for some reason , always " the end times". They seem really fixated on that one. Now sure, "Being Bobby Brown and " the real housewives of New Jersey " were as sure a sign that we are coming into the END DAYS as we are going  to get.. but I am not dwelling on it. 

Today's topic was " How to survive the end of the world." When I asked her " Isn't this an oxymoron ? " she just sort of smiled. Again, I don't think they get many questions.

No comments: