Friday, July 24, 2009

Sex, Drugs.... and Hyzaar





Your gin soaked pilots decent into the world of love beads and fringe, the answer to the question, " What ever happened to the class of 1969? "

Right off the bat, lets deal with that 800 lb gorilla in the room. In 1969 I was in good Baptist Kindergarten, being beaten severely for being dyslexic, all very Gothic and small town Southern  ( one of these days I'll blog the story of how Oral Roberts, over the television, got my kindergarten teacher out of her many-year sick bed on the day of her daughter's wedding...)  So, when these lovely late 50 year old types looked at my name tag, then looked at me.. then my name tag.. then me.. I am hoping that they were in awe of my skin elasticity and youth. I did not explain to many that I was just the spouse of a graduate.. let them guess...

You can't trust anyone not approaching medicare.....

The SIXTIES were not the SIXTIES. My brothers , who graduated in 1974 were much more of the long hair rock and roll type than the senior class of Rush Henreitta Class of 1969.I mean, just look at Neil's A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E Senior class picture:

Have you ever seen anything that screamed more Miami '68 than this. Woodstock , THE WOODSTOCK, was fourish hours , straight down the thruway, and here is my Neil in his best Eric Stratton look. So, going here tonight, I knew not to expect " flowers in your hair" types. For the most part, time has been kind, 50, is the new 40, after all...




I know I harp on this too much, but as far as I can tell, Ladies in upstate New York divide their closets into capri pants and jeans and over sized shirts and tunics. They walk into their bedrooms, spin around really fast, get a little bit dizzy then just grab the first piece out of each pile they can.
It makes life much harder ! Humans are a tribal lot, and one tells one's tribe by what the others are wearing, and when EVERYONE is wearing something bought at Marshals, you can not tell  "the sportos, from the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies or dickheads" . Yes, way too much attention is , I am sure, paid to this  in the South, but it does help move the conversation along.

Tonight was just the meet and greet portion of the pageant, tomorrow is the full blow banquet, talent and evening wear... but this was lots of fun. Neil saw many people he had not seen in a long time, and stories were told, hugs exchanged ,etc. People were very nice and kind to me, a lovely NON rainy evening!

One major grip with this and so, so many affairs like this was the CONCORDE like volume of the tragic cover band cranking out the hits from 1969. Really Ringo, I think the folks were there to talk to one another , not oooh and awww over your way past prime rock vibes. But that was just a small gripe. All the chicken wings you could eat and an almost pneumatic Neil to dive me home. Life is good. Peace , man..


2 comments:

b said...

where are the sundresses and cute sandals!

Neil is positively the best looking of all of them.

I love this post. But I don't think those ol line dancers would fit in my house.

Anonymous said...

That video is an ad for why white people should not be filmed dancing