Sunday, September 13, 2009

Flight of the Bumblebee

Welcome back to Church ( again Episcopalians all take the Summer off.. House in Maine and all...) So, it was all day singin' and dinner on the ground there in Honeoye Falls, with out the dinner or singing. I am the set up and break down committee and today had a helper elf. We got everything set up for the people in the Church in plenty of time. When Helper elf tells me he is going to make punch. Really, not on my to do list, so I am all about helper elf knocking him self out.
Many cans of store brand canned fruit punch and an equal number of store brand cans of Sprite put in a punch bowl. These are Yankees, they know NOTHING of a flower filled ice ring.. and helper elf is a young boy ( and I am going with his parents can expect many grand children....) So, a bright, sunny late Summer day and we have a giant bright red bowl of pure sugar sitting out in front of a flower garden.What could go wrong ? I could just let you make up your own story as to how freaking many bees descended on us in about half a nano second, but then you would miss the very amusing story of my good pal David Gandell thinking he could swat all 7,000 of them with the flattened 12 pack container that the fruit punch came it.  Let's just say that my little video cam was at the ready when the bee's stopped eating their fill and attacked.
The FAMOUS tuna fish and noodle salad. I kid you not. Really, I am going to contact the Cornell Extension Service here and ask if anyone has done any research on the geographic parameters of this dish. Is it more than a 20 mile radius of my house? This was a fancy one with bow tie pasta and boiled eggs. B. Day does her BEAUTIFUL veggie plates, I swear I am going to do a coffee table book of this dish. CAN NOT swing a dead cat.....
David getting his strength after the losing battle with the hive...
We just all gave up , let the bees have the punch and tuna surprise and came in for a SUNDAE BAR. Crushed up Oreo's and cool whip. FOUR kinds of ice cream ... I was as happy as a .... happy as a.. well, as a fat guy at a free ice cream sundae bar....

1 comment:

GrammyM said...

I have been "away" on a trip to Florida with friends in the RV. Spent a LOT of time in Georgia, coming and going. Intended to buy you a Georgia bulldog memento at the Cracker Barrell but forgot after I went to the restroom. Anyway, you were in my thoughts. However, I am in better spirits now after getting back in touch with your blog about the bumblebees. I am still laughing out loud! Thanks.