Monday, September 28, 2009

Good Logo, Bad Logo, a continuing series....





The NYT is reporting the President Obama will be joining The First Lady and The Queen herself, OPRAH! in Copenhagen for the announcement of the host city of the 2016 Olympic games.
"President Obama will travel to Copenhagen later this week to support Chicago’s bid to play host to the 2016 Summer Games, the White House and the Chicago organizers announced on Monday. It will be the first time an American president attended an International Olympic Committee vote and lobbied in person for an American city to become host of the Games." ( the rest...)

Maybe its because I lived through this in 1990-1996 but I am just fascinated by the choosing of the Olympics. I LOVE this first logo.. get it?, its the skyline and it's reflection in Lake Michigan AND it's the Olympic torch! a really good logo! You can even tell it is Chicago from the used to be Sears Tower... A++. BUT, they have shifted to this lame totally generic logo! FAIL. It also looks very Winter games to me for some reason, too. Come on Chicago Organizing Committee.. google What-iz-it, if you have too....


This is Atlanta's bid logo, and for late 80's design was pretty darn good. Restrained, colorful, to the point. I had all sorts of tshirts and things with this logo.. I need to look for some of them!
Here are the other cities hoping to hear their named called :

Only Chicago, Madrid, Rio de Janeiro and Tokyo are left....
This really should be Chicago's bid to lose, since the games have not been in the U.S. since 96 and 20 years is a long time. And really Madrid, I don't think flipping the bird to the world is the way to go.. I'm not even sure what some of these cities are. From some fast reading I guess RIO is the closest competition that Chicago has. The Olympics have never been in South America.




This was one of the most fun days of my life, all those years ago, So, best of luck Chicago...



I was a big ole wimp and did not want to go downtown so very early that day, so I was in our apt on Monroe Drive ( when it was still the 'hood! ), but we went down later in the day. I don't think anyone in Atlanta went to work. It was just a day long party, and the start of a fantastic few years for my hometown.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I vote old logo. Cute flame and all.

b said...

I was there! they gave us all bid pins. What fun for a chilly morning before work.