Thursday, May 14, 2009

New York, New York ,a hellava......


Or how I learned to love gerrymandering!

I was a little bit in love with Nate Silver during the election this past fall, but after my morning of swimming through the cess pool that is New York State politics , it is a re-kindled, mad burning love... I need to send that man a pie.

Nate (❤ ❤ ❤)'s website is FIVETHIRTYEIGHT.COM,  [ and really, it goes into details that you did not even know you wanted to know ! " Senator So and So from Schenectady does not like prunes... etc." ] , 538 is saying .. that it does look like an uphill battle for Marriage Equality in the New York Senate. NOT a done deal, but an uphill battle

As someone who is , even though I have lived here a while now, NEW to NEW YORK politics, I did not understand the HUGE divide between upstate and New York City  politics. I did not understand that . There are as many folks in that small area as the rest of the state. LOTS of Numbers, really, I was a pig in poop this morning, broke out the colored pens and did some maps.



I can not find a map, but there are AS many Senate Districts IN New York City as here in the rest of the state, and only a hand full of State Senators from " upstate" ( meaning on this map) are voting FOR marriage. The city is the opposite.

In the end, it all comes down to a very small number of swing district Senators, who are now Republicans, on Long Island. 


No comments: