Saturday, September 11, 2010

Hunker Down Hairy Dawgs Retired Episcopal Clergy.

Your annual " what's up with the old folks " luncheon here in Rochester, again at the Singh's house. I've been catering this party for years. This one just happen to fall on a game day, and from what I have read and heard, maybe it was not such a bad thing that I missed it! ( it may not have even been on tv here, I'm not sure. I was following on my phone and Dana was calling me, all despondent. Neither here not there.
Game day lunch for 35ish, Let's give them tailgate! Heck yes, woof woof woof! Crock pot bbq ,chicken fingers, pimento cheese and deviled eggs. Not so much, I was told. They were gathering at noon on a Saturday, so let's do brunch! A couple of strata, some fruit, banana nut muffins... mimosas! Again, I was told not really where the folks heads were at, so a more traditional late summer meal was planned.
  • Deviled Eggs! (I was sticking to my guns on this one!)
  • Grilled Chicken and Summer Squash Casserole
  • Stuffed Baked Potato Salad
  • Haricot Verts with roasted red and yellow peppers and red onion
  • Fresh Mendon Tomato Salad with basil, feta and those candy sweet Wegmans tiny heirloom tomatoes.
  • The pricey bought cookies from BJ's

I was way ahead of the game! Did most all of the work yesterday, Kyle learns. I didn't want to go with all bland boneless breast, so I did all these drumsticks as well as the white meat. Enough chicken for a most meaty casserole as well as supper for David, Lily and Hannah ( I was cooking over there ). My Rockette grill photo.
A big hit, with many left over whole
tomatoes
green, not red and black ( could be why we sucked so bad today )
Just boiled the tip and tailed beans in salted water
with onion and garlic, then shocked, served at room temp.
The roasted pepper and onion salad over them.
Very pretty.
Before Serving
Still.
They gathered , they chatted, had a little wine.
Some people were outside , it was a beautiful day today.
Ok, this was a hard core church casserole. This was my third menu for this party, and I was just out , so Mr. Google found this for me. So , so easy and very good. Really, some people had thirds.

DELICIOUS CHICKEN - SQUASH CASSEROLE
Printed from COOKS.COM
2 c. diced cooked chicken
1 c. sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 lb. yellow squash, cooked or 1 can squash (use juice too)
1 lg. carrot, grated
1/2 onion, chopped
1 stick butter
2 c. (4 oz.) Pepperidge Farm herb stuffing mix
Melt butter. Mix with herb stuffing (reserve small amount for topping). Combine all ingredients, pour in 2 quart casserole. Add topping. Bake 40 minutes at 325 degrees. Serves 8. (May be made ahead and refrigerated or frozen.)

I stuck mostly to the recipe for this one. Grill your chicken, use a rotisserie chicken, light meat, dark meat, what ever you feel like. I did do it x4 but pretty much stuck to this. Used Wegmans brand chicken flavored stuffing. I did add one orange bell pepper to the squash, but really just because it was there. Pure Wednesday night at the Winder First Baptist Church, but very tasty!

Our pal Miss Kiara was in doggie prison while there were a lot of folks on walkers around, but we romped a little after they left.

Note to Bishop Singh: If you ask old people "how they are/ what have you been up too", they will tell you.... at great length.

3 comments:

b said...

tomatoes and eggs are beautiful! but I bet you didn't really use that can of soup, did you?

Jeff said...

"Note to Bishop Singh: If you ask old people "how they are/ what have you been up too", they will tell you.... at great length.".......LOL!.....I deal with a lot of that during the week. The food looks great. GA missed AJ Green yesterday....big time.

Jeff said...

"Note to Bishop Singh: If you ask old people "how they are/ what have you been up too", they will tell you.... at great length.".......LOL!.....I deal with a lot of that during the week. The food looks great. GA missed AJ Green yesterday....big time.