Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Dinner

Kyle's Kitchen Sink Spaghetti


Ok, just like my feeble attempts at Curries send any serious Indian cook running into the streets in disbelief, I am sure that my Spaghetti sauce would warrant a full beat down from most all good Italian grandmothers. A great big SO WHAT from the k+b staff, This is darn good, and exactly the way I like it.
Start off with a little bit of oil in the bottom of your big pot and brown your sausages on a low heat, you want some caramelization on the bottom .
Chop your veggies, as a rule, I do not use red peppers, but had some , so I went with it. They added a little extra sweetness that counter balanced the heat from the hot sausage and the chili flakes. Carrots in red sauce? yes, again for a touch of sweetness, really rounds out the flavor
This would be the big pot of boiling water...
Let the veggies go for a good long time, get really soft, a little color is a good thing. Then add the ground beef. Stir to mix and brown meat. IF it is very fatty take a little out, this was fine. Once the meat is brown THEN add your finely chopped garlic. I like garlic, I added four good sized cloves, just do it to your taste. Cook for a couple of min, then I splashed a good glug of red wine into the pot. I also added just a tiny bit of bacon fat. Come on, don't you all have a little pot of bacon fat in your freezer?
After the wine cooks down a bit , not long at all, add your spices, again to taste.
Cut up your browned sausages and add back to the pot, along with any juice that gathered with them
Tomatoes, tomato sauce- mix well, then add your mushrooms. Slice the big ones, small leave whole. Put on low and just leave it alone. After say 10 min or so , taste for spice , heat and salt. Then just let it go for a good long 10 - 15 min more.
ENJOY!

No comments: