Saturday, December 19, 2009

Do they know its Christmas time at all...

Dahn and David's Annual Christmas Party with a Cause. Folks bring a big appetite and a a shekel of two for charity, this year was Africa. I should have paid more attention, but Africa was talked about...
I am not even sure how many folks were there , a bunch. Thirty-ish?

A few little pre dinner noshes.. Dahn made Cheese Straws this afternoon.. I am still, to this day, surprised by Yankee reaction to the most simple of things. Not my table scape, but festive.
Front of Dahn, back of John
Advent of Dinner....
Menu
  • Pomegranate and rosemary glazed pork loin. OK, if I do have to say so myself: "This was good! " Own horn tooted. Whole pork loin thing.. it was a big one, too. Salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder. Roast in foil covered pan for 45 ish min. Remove foil and start glazing with a Pomegranate Molasses/Honey/Lemon Zest/Lemon Juice sort of "bbq sauce". Glaze every 6-7 min for another 45 ish. I really wish I would have taken a pic of the entire hunk o meat, it looked great, all sticky and tart-sweet. A real deep rich pomegranate red. Everyone just loved it
  • Some zesty savory sweet potatoes, with red skinned potatoes, peppers, onions and lots of hole cloves of garlic. Yummy!
  • Collard Greens that were just out of this world!
  • Black eyed peas that were a tad bland. I used a ham hock, instead of bacon that I use as a rule when not doing vegan ones. Full of veggies, onions, peppers,chili,garlic , carrot.. They had a good flavor, and lots were eaten, they just did not seem right to me. I am sure they will taste better tomorrow.
  • Some healthy vegetables. Purple and white cauliflower, broccoli and carrots, just flash boiled and cooled then tossed in some olive oil and garlic. I thought this was a throw away dish, something for the healthy set , if any came. They were close to the first thing to go... go figure
  • Plain white rice for the black eyed peas
  • Dahn's tdf homemade mac and cheese, I watched her make this. It's more like cheese and mac. Two of these big pan, almost every bit eaten!
  • Home made cornbread.
  • Banana pudding and a big trifle that I made last night. Both were good, I should have put a little rum or Grand Mariner in the trifle. And do yall know about this looming blueberry crisis, Storms or something in Chili. You can get organic ones, but yall know Kyle the Cheap won't do that, so its black berries, golden raspberries, star fruit, strawberries and dried cranberries, this whole thing was gone. Most of the Banana pudding as well

Me or not me?
CHOMP!

and too all a good night....

2 comments:

GrammyM said...

Mouth watering as I see and read about the dinner! Looks fabulous. Dahn's mother dubbed a trifle I made as a strawberry terrarium. Hence, it is still hard for me to call it a trifle. Wish I could have been there!

b said...

A very southern meal for the icebound northern set. I've never seen purple cauliflower. Very pretty.