Friday, March 26, 2010

The never ending debate:

Mouse 1 or Mouse 2 ?
(Strangely, no one really cared when they switched Monas.)


I was, like most things, late to the party, time having never been my strong suit. So, it's fall of 1994, I am on the ending cusp of new gay and Armistead Maupin's ( my bff since we are facebook pals....). Tales of the City is coming on Georgia's PBS station. I lived in the epicenter of gay life south of New York and East of the city of the tales, and midtown Atlanta was in full Maupinmania. If I remembering correctly, and that is doubtful, it came on Tuesday nights. All of midtown came to a stand still, because we KNEW it was coming. Julia was not a maid , but a nurse with a nice apartment, AND we were going to see boys kiss on broadcast tv! Pink confetti came down like rain. We were here, we were queer, and now for the very first time, we were on TV.

I became mildly obsessed with the books there for a while. We knew things that the folks at 28 Barbary Lane did not. Aids hit Atlanta later than other big cities, and I really was watching people die in front of me. We were , for the most part, all to young to have been a part of the free love pre Aids, party... so it was all a bitter sweet time capsule.

The Greeks and Romans put their heroes in constellations, my people do them one better and TOTC has become a MUSICAL!
From the SF Chronicle "Tales of the City," a new musical adaptation of Armistead Maupin's famed stories - created with veterans of "Avenue Q" and members of the rock band Scissor Sisters - will receive its world premiere in the American Conservatory Theater's 2010-11 season. (read the rest)

BROADWAY BOUND for sure!

No comments: