Monday, March 29, 2010

Sitting Southern Shiva.

You know, with the mirrors fully functioning... hair is important.



Ok, somehow, I never did this before. I am not kidding when I said I don't do sadness. I have never even been to a Barrow County funeral, but I have caught on pretty quickly. You just sit, and wait , and people come to you, with ham. ( So, it is a little bit of a different Shiva.) Also, there is a vat of chicken tenders that even after all these people have been eating , remains full. Not sure why people think we need quite this many cookies and cupcakes....



People, relatives, that I have not seen in a very VERY long time. People that were children have grown children of their own now. When I left Winder, early, I didn't come back all that much. Drinking started early.. I am holding out. I was told that I was going to partake in "viewing hours" with nothing to view, from six to eight tonight. It is not, so far, sad. More of a celebration of my Dad's life. The two new babies in the house seem to be the focus of things so far......... ..... Ya'll know how much I do enjoy the company of a cherub cheeked toddler........... Function in Disaster, Finish in Style.



The fact that there are so many people here , is making things easier. I am not at all sure about this hanging out in a funeral home thing. Also, you have no idea who is going to show up, its not like people are invited. Is there basketball on tonight? I am taking pictures, but can not download them here on my mothers computer, but will do so asap.



Last night, grandkids plus others, I guess, went through lots of old pictures to put out while hanging out at the funeral home. Lots of babies and smiles, not many beer cans... I would have made different choices. Kyle is giving....



Neil is being very much the trooper, very appreciative of that... he does not see the mine fields that you know, are only in my mind , does not make them any less real at all.

" And so we beat on, boats against the current, born back ceaselessly into the past......"

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Kyle,
I'm very sorry to learn about your dad. I've been there myself and know how tough it is. Just hang in there and things do (slowly) get better! I'm so glad you've got Neil, can't imagine a better support system. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.