Tuesday, March 23, 2010

We have won.



And winning is fun.
( This is not the post that you are expecting, I will get to that.)

Meet DERRICK MARTIN:

Normal looking kid, from the absolute middle of Georgia. Cochran, Bleckley County. You can see on the map, not Atlanta, not liberal Decatur or Athens, this is the old 912 Georgia. And he is a brave brave brave young man.


From the MACON newspaper : "COCHRAN — Derrick Martin worried that he could be responsible for getting this year’s prom at Bleckley County High School canceled.
That’s because the 18-year-old senior is gay, and he plans to take his boyfriend to the year’s most anticipated dance.
That’s something that’s never happened in this small Middle Georgia town. A similar plan by two female students in Mississippi this month prompted school officials there to cancel the prom, making national news.
After asking Bleckley County school officials permission in January to take another boy to the prom, Martin got word last week that his high school will allow it. Bleckley’s prom is April 17 in the high school cafeteria.
“I didn’t expect them to say yes,” he said. “It’s who I am. I have the same rights.
“It’s my senior prom, and I wanted to be able to prove not everyone would cancel prom.”
Martin, an honor student who tutors at-risk elementary and middle school students after school, knew the move would be controversial for the town of about 5,200 residents.
At his high school, prom dates from outside counties must be approved in advance, so Martin went to his principal and asked.
“At first she said no, Cochran wasn’t ready for it,” he said.
Then last week, school officials said they have no policy in place against it.
“You don’t have the right to say no,” principal Michelle Masters said. “As a principal, I don’t judge him. I’m taught not to judge. I have to push my own beliefs to the background.” (
read the rest )

Now, if I was this kid, I would have done it hoping that Ellen would give me 30k, but I am just that shallow. He is a much better person than me. Great , good for him, as I have said many times, I can not wrap my brain around how mentally healthy he must be. And and a damn good job his parents did in raising such a brave, fine young man. But let's just deal with where this is... come on, this is the back water of the universe, NO OFFENSE to those good folks in Bleckely Co. , and trust me, no one from Barrow County throws any stones at anyone. An out HAPPY gay couple at the Bleckley County Prom.
It is events like this, nice normal healthy kids just living their lives that will be the reason that all the haters out there will lose. Like I have said before so easy to hate the other, hate the gays, hate the different... it's really really hard to hate Derrick and his date. Look they are not so scary, they have that same white boy standard bad prom dance step as all the rest of you do. He and the young lady in Mississippi are Maggie G's biggest nightmare, Because they are the future.
God, I hope good southern proms do not end with Freebird anymore.

3 comments:

b said...

This makes me very happy. "We" may not have won yet. But they certainly will.

Anonymous said...

Freebird is a nightmare for me. No young American should have to experience the slow dancing idiot with the fast dancing fool at her high school dance with that song. FreeBird is bad, bad, bad.

b said...

Jane, Freebird is a great song. I still crank it up when it comes on in the car.

We can laugh about taking the T tops out and drinking Southern Comfort, but the song itself holds up.