Friday, August 29, 2008

comedy and tragedy


I stayed up late last night and watched the speech for the second time. All the cable networks msnbc, cnn, cspan and fox re-played the speech. I was a little bit surprised that fox would do it, so I watched their coverage. I also watched their cult of Roveites aftewards tell me that Senator Obama was a black Muslim communist and we will all die if he is elected. Nothing new there, but a little bit fun to watch!
THIRTY EIGHT MILLION Americans watched the speech last night. 38,000,000 !!
Nielsen Media Research said more people watched Obama speak than watched the Olympics opening ceremony in Beijing, the final "American Idol" or the Academy Awards this year. Obama talked before a live audience of 80,000+ people in Denver. ( look at this link) Americans don't vote. IF they are driving by the polling place, and there is a very close parking place and they have fresh baked cookies people might vote. That is why i totally feel that the word TRANSCENDENT is appropriate here. I know, roll your eyes, judge me all you want, TRANSCENDENT.
There was politics on Wednesday and then there is Politics today. What 38, 000, 000 of us watched last night was AMAZING Political theater. Nothing that I can think of in my life time can come close to the spectacle. Maybe Reagan saying " Gorby, tear down that wall! " or the Nixons and Fords walking arm and arm out to Marine One. I do think that I am in a situation to discuss this too, because I do watch more c-span than almost anyone who is not in an iron lung.
It was perfect. The beautiful multiracial-very American- family, the little girls playing in the confetti, Mama Biden's BEAMING at her son.  Just the unbelievable energy. Black, white, old , young, rich , poor, gay straight, all in that setting all fired up!
  The speech itself with out the fal-de-rah, was everything I, as a very left wing Democrat, wanted to hear, jobs, health care, on and on. AND, as far as my wish list yesterday, He said the words GAY MARRIAGE without prefacing it with BAN. More than anyone else in his place had ever done. 
I stayed up a little bit later to watch the happily out of control Keith Olbermann make fun of John McCain's pick of the Governor of Minnesota , Tim Pawlenty as his V.P. choice. I drifted off to sleep a happy man.
  Neil woke me up this morning saying that it was not Minnesota BUT female Governor of Arkansas! "Cool!" , I thought in my not yet awake mind, Mike Beebe had a sex change. A tranny in the white house, how modern! Then I thought about what a really unattractive woman he would make and came online to check. 
Governor Sarah Palin of Alaska!
HUH?
 I watched a FRONTLINE a few weeks ago, that was an investigation into the investigation of the very crooked Senator Stevens of Alaska. She was a part of this show, and I was impressed with her. Young, very pretty and VERY at ease in front of the camera. This was the entirety of my knowledge of her. Until this morning. If this were a wacky sitcom " coming this Fall on FOX - " LOOK WHO'S PRESIDENT"- staring Tatum O'Neil as the President come lately , and Nathan Lane as the over the top Chief of Staff. Who wouldn't watch it!" But it is not, just because something is ON tv does not make it television! 
  If you need your car worked on , you go to a mechanic with lots or experience, you need a triple bypass you want a doctor who has done it, many times! But someone who got 51% of the vote in Alaska is ready to run the country? If I hear that " she is a mom" one more time, my head is going to explode. Come on ,she is straight out of central casting:
  • former RUNNER UP Miss Alaska
  • was a sports reporter
  • husband is an ESKIMO
  • Five childern, all with funny names ( all named after girls on Buffy the Vampire Slayer??)
  • son joined the army on SEPTEMBER 11 last year!
  • baby with down's syndrome
  • loves to eat MOOSE STEW
Much more to come.... it is just too much to process!!

No comments: