Friday, August 8, 2008

Olympic Eve......



Somehow, I am doubting that the atmosphere is the same in Beijing tonight as it was in Atlanta twelve years ago. 
The torch ran in from South Carolina , I believe. It had been all over the country.  I remember that day it had been in Buckhead, and was going to run all around the city. You had to bid to carry the torch, or be a "local hero" , It was all for a good cause...
It was supposed to hit the Highlands, early evening... 8-9 ish, from what I can recall. Yeah..
They were not expecting the tens of thousands of people lining the streets of Atlanta, waiting on it. ( HEY, I have an idea, let's run THE OLYMPIC TORCH, past a bunch of bars, all over Atlanta, that should stay on time...) 
The streets everywhere became clogged with people.. it was hours and hours behind. It at last came up Highland, two, three o'clock in the morning. The streets were so full of people , he might as well have been carrying the thing from Rich's to Davidson's at Lenox on Christmas Eve. All I can really recall were heads of people in front of me , as it ran by. BUT, the fun we all had.
It ran all through the city , all night. At 6:00 am-ish, It came through College Park,right at the end of our street. Emile came over and woke us up. A few hours before we had watched it come thought the VA-Highands with tens of thousands of people, now, it was maybe 10 on Main Street College Park, as the sun came up. 
   It ended up in the hands of Mohammad Ali and from there the Olympic flame.
What a CRAZY week that was...I hope they have 1/100th of the fun that we had in China this go round ( and you know, nothing explodes)
  The pic is Susan, Steve, Me and Beth, I have no idea who the person on the far left is.. but it was all about the love that night. Also, I had to dig hard to find this pic... so be prepared, there just may be some shots from DEEP in the archives coming up soon....

1 comment:

b said...

That's Lori, Jimbo's wife, on the left.