Monday, April 20, 2009

don't know much about the French I took....





Someone in Downtown Atlanta is doing their job well! 
BIG story this morning in the NYT about the coming glories of GEORGIA STATE FOOTBALL! 2010 baby! But ,as I have said here on the kyle+blog before, they are making a BIG mistake! I may not know much about much.. but really, when it comes to Southern college football tailgating, I am the love child of Martha Stewart and Albert Einstein. 
Come on Bill Curry... you know you and I go back a long ,long way.. and I know, I know, you have just blacked out those years in Tuscaloosa, but if you think back , you will remember that tailgating there was , oh, I don't know A ZILLION times more fun that tailgating at Georgia Tech. Yes again,  I know, it is comparing apples and oranges... well , to be honest , if tailgating in Tuscaloosa is an apple, then "tailgating" at Georgia Tech would be.... liver and onions? - ( IN Ga. Tech's defense.. there are NOT many areas to do real tailgating.. it is an Urban campus.. and I have always had a good time there,  you get to sleep in your own bed after games that UGA pretty much always wins with out the nightmare of Athens to Atlanta traffic. And other than the great ΠΚΑ debacle of 1981,( or was it '79? ) I have never had any real trouble there...)
But, back to Georgia State. They are going to play their games inside the Georgia Dome. Indoor football, in the fall, in Atlanta?... just wrong. I am sure part of this is making a downtown college atmosphere for the kiddies and all.. but doesn't Morehouse already play there ? ( I could be totally wrong ) , and don't the Falcon fans do nothing but complain about the total lack of atmosphere around the dome?
There is an perfect fit to this problem! Hermance Stadium at Oglethorpe University! 

It's not like the Stormy Petrels ( seriously one of the best college names there is, SO underused..) are doing much with it! ( and Oglethorpe, one of my many, many alma maters NEEDS the funds!!!) It is right on Peachtree, it is on MARTA, tons of parking, BEAUTIFUL college setting, safe, controlled.. it is win /win. Even Grady High School field would be better than the Ga Dome. 
I have written this exact post before, but Mr Curry has never really listened to me.. I told him.. when he left Atlanta for Alabama.. " just wear the damn hat Bill... that SWEET HOME crowd will eat it up".... 

He didn't listen then, bet he wont now....


No comments: